Abbye learned to speak Croatian at a young age with her step-grandfather who took a boat across the sea to come to the United States when he was fourteen years old. Her sense of family and missing the old times with her grandfather prompted her to write her first book about a Croatian motorcycle club in the US.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Recently Amber asked me (you can visit her, she doesn't bite, well, not too often anyway, on her blog, twitter, and facebook if you'd like) if one of my genres was really romance. Should I really label my work as Crime/Suspense Romance?

It made me think.

All of my books have brutal violence (the degree of brutality really depends on your outlook on violence). Some of them involve people looking for love, already in a relationship or married - others simply looking for sex for the sake of sex.

*gasps*

I know. Right? It's a huge industry no-no to do sex for the sake of sex in books that aren't stroke reads. But come on. Hear me out on this.

Who hasn't had sex just to have sex? At least once (and if you haven't, I'm sorry, but you're missing out). Sometimes it's the thrill of someone new, someone who you don't have to get to know. Someone to satisfy one of the most basic of human urges.

So, yeah, there's sex just for sex in some books. It's also a way to find yourself in some situations.

As well as a way to manipulate others to get what you want.

I do think it's important to telling my story in the way I want it to be told.

Serial Killers. Who would love one. Right? And how would anyone be willingly having sex with them? Well, just wait and see. There is love, romance, seduction, and more - along with gruesome serial killer moments in my series.

Mafia and motorcycle guys and gals can still love someone and be badass (well, no, they aren't always - but in my books they are).

So, do I write romance? In a way.

I mean, with it, I even have to question if I'm crime and suspense. I could be borderline horror on my serial killer book. It all depends on how you interpret the pages between the front and back cover of my books.

More over, I'm even more excited to see who will take that chance and publish my no-no stuff.

3 comments:

  1. The genre thing has always been a bit of a frustration for me for similar reasons. I still don't know the trick to it.

    I don't think sex is necessarily an indicator for romance. It sure isn't in real life. I always thought romance should have a strong romantic component to it in order to be classified as romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not sure. I see so many labeled as romance because there is a small bit of relationship. I know mine have more than that, but I'm really not sure. Are they focused around the love story? Or even the sex? Absolutely not. lol

      Delete